Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursdays are for Articles - China stretches the imagination with world's longest sea bridge


Ever since I visited Dubai in the summer of 2005,
amazing feats of engineering fascinate me. At that time, Dubai had a majority of the world's cranes that almost completely dotted the city-state's skyline.

As a result, whenever I hear of incredible new works around the world, I want to learn more.

Apparently, China already has the world's longest sea bridge, and now want another one. They are building a bridge that will connect Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China.

You can read more about it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/15/worlds-longest-sea-bridge

What interests me even more is that in response to the global economic "tsunami" China is working on its infrastructure - this bridge being just one example.

As a proponent of economic conservatism I find it interesting that America is bailing out banks and providing billions in stimulus money while China is setting their economy up for future growth by working on infrastructure.

In my opinion, a government is more likely to ensure the future growth of the economy by spending money on infrastructure than in bailing out failing banks and businesses.

I am sorry but not surprised that China's government understands this principle and America's government does not.

2 comments:

  1. It is a pretty cool bridge. Saw it on one of my favorite tv shows: Build it Bigger on discovery. I'm impressed at the feats of engineering the chicoms are building over there (ironically it often seems to be that a whole lot of westerners head up large portions of these projects around the world).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny - you would think that making things bigger or taller or longer would be a Western thing, but the tallest buildings and longest bridges are in the East.

    I guess hubris is a universal trapping - but it does make for some cool buildings. :-)

    ReplyDelete