Monday, December 28, 2009

Sports Bucket List

For those unfamiliar with the term, a bucket list is a list of things you want to accomplish before you die or "kick the bucket."

As a diehard sports fan, if I made a bucket list most of the adventures listed would be sports related anyway. So, I decided to write a bucket list - essentially the 10 sporting events or activities I want to participate in before I kick the bucket.

10) Attend a game a FC Dallas game at every away stadium.

FC Dallas is my favorite team in my favorite sport, soccer. Major League Soccer is growing, especially as teams are building there own stadiums. There are some teams with amazing stadiums such as New York, Los Angeles and Seattle.

9) Attend a Red Sox - Yankees game at Fenway Park.

Fenway is a great ballpark. Red Sox fans are crazy, especially when the Yankees come to town.



8) Participate in the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain.

This would combine two things I love - travel & sports.





7) Attend an Ohio State - Michigan game in Columbus at the Horse Shoe.

One of the biggest rivalries in College football at a classic location.

6) Watch a River Plate vs Boca Juniors game at La Bombonera in Buenos Aires.

River Plate vs. Boca is like the Yankees vs. Red Sox in the World Series. These two teams hate each other so much that several hundred police are hired to ensure a riot doesn't break out.

5) Play a round of golf at St. Andrew's in Scotland.

St. Andrews is an amazing golf course in Scotland - often the site of the British Open golf tournament.

4) Attend a Manchester United vs. Liverpool game at Old Trafford.

Another amazing rivalry that based on location and difficulty in getting there causes this to be ranked this high.

3) Watch the US Men's National Team play in a World Cup Qualifier in Mexico City.

The US owns Mexico on US soil. Mexico owns the US on Mexican soil. I predict the US will win in Mexico before Mexico wins again in the US. This game is always crazy with the best result the Americans have ever earned in Mexico city being a tie.

2) Attend the opening ceremonies at the Olympic Games.

It's the Olympic games...enough said.

1) Attend a World Cup match with the US Men's National Team playing.

The US has qualified for 6 straight World Cups. Hopefully, one day the World Cup will be in America again where I will do everything in my power to see the USMNT play.


What would you have on your sports bucket list?

4 comments:

  1. A few of these I have already done:

    See the Mavericks play in an NBA Finals game (went to Game 1 of the 2006 NBA Finals).

    See the Rockies play in a World Series game (went to Game 3 of the 2007 World Series).

    See a Major League no-hitter (was at Nolan Ryan's 7th on May 1, 1991).

    The others:

    4. Go to a game at Wrigley Field.
    5. Go to a game at Fenway Park.
    6. Go to a Super Bowl.
    7. Go to a Game 7 of the World Series.
    8. Go skiing in the Swiss Alps.
    9. (You'll like this one) Go to a World Cup final match.
    10. See a Stanley Cup Finals game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    Thanks for adding your list!

    I had Super Bowl on the list, but felt like I wanted attainable goals...(although the Olympics opening ceremonies are probably just
    as unattainable as the Super bowl)

    And yes, I do like #9!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already done it all. I can sit back and relax while you keeping chasing the bucket list. LOL. Good luck, I'm guessing from what you listed, you may not make it all. Rev. Jerry C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry - thanks for the encouragement. ;-)

    Funny - because of the frequency that I travel to Argentina, I feel like the Boca-River game is the most likely or at least the first to be marked off the list.

    Of course, I am a lot younger than you so I do have a chance. :-)

    Mark

    ReplyDelete